Student Services

MD Program Student Services

The Office of Student Affairs (OSA) provides effective support services from academic and career advising to student wellness to registration and financial aid/scholarship assistance to help our medical students achieve their personal and professional goals.  For more details about OSA, please visit our official website.

Graduate Program Student Resources

group of medical students in auditorium

Fellowships, teaching assistantships, or research assistantships from a variety of university and extramural sources are available for PhD students, and are awarded based on criteria established by each graduate program. Generally, funding for MS is students are more limited in availability than for PhD students. Information on tuition and living expenses for graduate students at the University of Hawaiʻi may be found on the Office of Graduate Education website.

Graduate Assistantships

A graduate assistantship is a nonrenewable, part-time academic appointment. In addition to carrying out their assignments in their unit of hire, graduate assistants (GAs) also have roles as professionals, albeit of an apprentice nature, in the university community. Learn more about our graduate assistantships. 


The Office of Graduate Education

The Office of Graduate Education (previously, Graduate Division) provides opportunities for further study, research and professional training to students who have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning. All of the graduate programs at UHM apply rigorous academic standards. Special emphasis is placed on the cultivation of scholarly attitudes and methods of research and creative activity. Learn more at the Office of Graduate Education. 


Graduate Student Enrollment Policies

Once admitted to UHM, all graduate students need to be enrolled continuously (excluding summer session) until they graduate. Domestic students need to enroll in at least one credit each semester. The one credit may be for course work, thesis, dissertation or research. International students need to enroll full-time each semester, in order to maintain their visa status. Learn more about the enrollment policies.


Health Services

The University Health Services Mānoa (UHSM) is staffed by physicians, nurse clinicians, nurses, and other support staff. A wide range of medical services and programs are offered. Learn more about the UH Health Services. 

Clinic Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8am-4pm
After Hours Medical Care: When closed, call the Medical Advice Line and speak with a healthcare professional for medical advice and information. Call (808) 956-8965.



The basic objective of student housing is to provide an environment that is conducive to the academic mission of the University. Residents are offered many opportunities to participate in numerous academic and social programs and activities presented by a variety of organizations. Learn more about Housing.


Resources for Grievances, Conflict Resolution, and Complaints

Any questions or concerns may be directed to Associate Dean for Research Mariana Gerschenson at 808-692-1518.


JABSOM Ombudsman:

Anonymous complaints (via the University of Hawaii Whistleblower Hotline):

Hostile work environment etc.: JABSOM Human Resources Lead, Kathy Matsumoto at 808-692-1176 or

Discrimination in education: Deputy Title IX Coordinator for JABSOM, Corinne Seymour at 808-692-1160 or

Professionalism Concerns or Questions

JABSOM works toward a culture of safety, inclusivity, and true aloha for our learners, employees, and patients. If you have a professionalism concern or question, you may submit your concern or question anonymously on our survey.

UHM Student Support