JABSOM Resources Page: COVID-19 Updates
JABSOM KAKAʻAKO LIBRARY RESTRICTIONS
Effective immediately, the JABSOM Kakaʻako library will be restricted to JABSOM students, faculty and staff. This measure will help with needed social distancing for our students, faculty and staff. Employees of UHP, RCUH, UHF, and our non-compensated faculty are considered part of the JABSOM ʻohana and may continue to use the library facilities.
Large group activities planned for more than 10 people will be modified or canceled, in accordance with CDC and State recommendations on March 18, 2020. Students, residents and fellows should check their email frequently for updates.
Medical student pre-clinical courses will be online starting March 23, 2020 through the end of this academic year per the main University of Hawaiʻi decision on March 18, 2020 (but this may change).
Clinical components of medical student, communication sciences and disorders and medical technology students will be suspended effective March 16-29, 2020. Alternative required learning activities and experiences will be communicated directly to the students by the department, program or Office of Medical Education. We will continue to reassess the situation.
Residents and fellows should follow their respective program and clinical rotation site guidance.
Group learning typically held within clinical settings for medical students, residents and fellows will be altered to promote social distancing. Please check your email for details.
Students working in research laboratories should adhere to UH Mānoa recommendations. Questions? See your advisor, graduate chair or Dr. Mariana Gerschenson.
FAQs & Resources
Sign up for Hawaii Department of Health (HDHOH) email alerts
New, user-friendly HDOH website for COVID-19 information: hawaiicovid19.com
Queen’s Medical Center COVID-19 Infoline: 808-691-2619
University of Hawaiʻi (UH) COVID-19 Resources Page
Pacific Basin Telehealth Resource Center COVID-19 Resource Page
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) CDC COVID-19 Microsite
The Aloha United Way call center is open daily 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Call 2-1-1 from any location in the state
- Text 877-275-6569
- Email email@example.com
Please check with your respective employers and supervisors if you have questions related to your work situation. Relevant links are below:
- UH System Office of Human Resources: Coronavirus COVID-19 FAQs for Employees
- UH System Office of Human Resources: Employee Assistance Program
- Research Corporation of the University of Hawaiʻi (RCUH): Policy 3.262 Work Schedule, Work Week and Work Hours
- Faculty wellness guide prepared by Jeanelle Sugimoto-Matsuda, DrPH and Deborah Goebert, DrPH
- Resources for staying mentally well in distressing times
- Self care for those on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic
JABSOM Community and ʻOhana Updates
- March 23, 2020: Message to JABSOM ʻOhana from Dean Hedges
- March 22, 2020: JABSOM ʻOhana update following Mayor Caldwell’s Emergency Stay at Home, Work at Home Order
- March 12, 2020: COVID-19 and JABSOM Community Update #2
- March 9, 2020: COVID-19 and JABSOM Community Update #1
Changes to JABSOM Upcoming Events
- Willed Body Ceremony 4/04: AVAILABLE TO WATCH ONLINE
The Willed Body Ceremony will be prerecorded and edited in a link that will go live on April 4th. The link has been sent in a letter to family members.
- Biomedical Symposium 4/16-17: CANCELED
At this time we hope to reschedule to Fall 2020.
- Medical Diagnosis & Treatment Summer Program for High School Students 7/6-10: CANCELED
Information for Clinicians
If you have a patient with symptoms and travel history consistent with this outbreak, contact the Hawaii Department of Health (HDOH), Disease Outbreak Control Division at (808) 586-4586. For more information see the HDOH updates for clinicians page.
Hawaiʻi Department of Health (HDOH) Updates
- April 1: Medical Advisory Update #8
- March 11: Medical Advisory Update #5 (contains Hawaii Risk Assessment and Management Guide)
- March 18: Medical Advisory Update #6 Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
FAQs & Resources
PRACTICAL TIPS FOR SAFETY DURING THE PANDEMIC
JABSOM Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Dr. Lee Buenconsejo-Lum shares tips for protecting yourself and others: