October 29, 2019
Hawaii Medical Education Council
Monday, October 28, 2019
John A. Burns School of Medicine
651 Ilalo Street, Medical Education Building
Parking Reserved in LOT B for RSVP’s
Hawai‘i Medical Education Council (HMEC)
University of Hawai‘i, John A. Burns School of Medicine
Date: Monday, October 28, 2019, 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Location: 651 Ilalo Street, Kaka‘ako Campus, Medical Education Building, Room 202
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
- Review & Approval of July 29, 2019 Minutes –Dr. Hedges (distributed via email to members on 10/24/19)
- Report from HMEC Chair – Dr. Hedges
- Announcements (5 minutes)
- Update on Legislative Strategies – Jerris Hedges and Cynthia Nakamura (15 minutes)
- Physician Workforce Data Updates
- Physician Workforce Updates & Synergies – Aimee Grace & Kelley Withy (30 minutes)
- Loan repayment tracking
- Brief update on 2016 GME Strategic Plan – Lee Buenconsejo-Lum
- Review of draft 2019 HMEC report and recommendations to the 2020 Legislature
(2019) RECOMMENDATION #1 – recommend deleting this for 2020
UH JABSOM/HMEC recommends that the 2019 State Legislature assess the advisability and feasibility of an annual and recurring GME Appropriation to support HMEC-designated residency/fellowship programs with a particular emphasis on primary care.
(2019) RECOMMENDATION #2 – consider continuing this for 2020
UH/HMEC recommends that the 2019 State Legislature and State Executive Branch support the State Department of Human Services and UH JABSOM to work together to develop a State Medicaid GME-focused Matching program to augment GME faculty and resident/fellow funding.
(2019) RECOMMENDATION #3 – consider continuing this for 2020
UH/HMEC recommends that the 2019 State Department of Human Services and other stakeholders explore the mechanisms to obtain Federal Medicaid GME funding since many of the residency programs provide inpatient and ambulatory care for Medicaid populations.
(2020) RECOMMENDATION #1
The legislature support the inclusion of loan repayment support in the annual Department of Health (DOH) budget with the explicit instruction for the DOH to annually transfer those funds to JABSOM as long as the SoM oversees the health professional loan program for Hawaii – including coordination of the NLRP federal match.
(2020) RECOMMENDATION #2
The legislature support the expansion of JABSOM faculty and staff to provide satellite educational programs for year round undergraduate education on Hawaii and Maui Islands which will allow expansion of the medical school class size with more neighbor island medical education, and will allow exploration of residency training expansion to these islands.
- Additional Items
- Announcements – Next HMEC Meeting – Monday, January 27, 2020 @ 7:30am in MEB 202