Points of Pride at the John A. Burns School of Medicine
The John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) has kept its promise to the community made nearly 50 years ago to develop a school of medicine that is a top-notch educational institution and a decade ago to the State to also serve as a well-functioning research enterprise. In 2015-2016, U.S. News & World Report ranked JABSOM the 19th Best Medical School in the country. Since then, we have consistently landed among the top 75 schools.
Since its founding in 1965, JABSOM has delivered tremendous value to our community. It gives local students the opportunity to get a professional degree, its graduates provide much of the medical care in Hawai’i, and research at JABSOM now attracts millions each year that flow into the local economy.
EDUCATION & JOBS
- About half of all practicing physicians in Hawai’i are graduates of the JABSOM MD program, its residency program or are faculty members. To date, more than 2,000 students have earned their MD degree at JABSOM, with another 2,500 earning their Residency credentials under JABSOM Graduate Medical Education supervision.
- Nearly 90% of JABSOM medical students are kamaʻaina.
- One-third of all babies delivered each year in Hawaiʻi are attended by JABSOM OB-GYN faculty, including virtually all high-risk births and those to impoverished families.
- In 2016, JABSOM’s MD program received an eight year accreditation – the maximum possible – (through 2024) and its Graduate Medical Education program received the maximum twelve year accreditation in 2013, fully accredited through 2025.
- JABSOM ranks #1 in the nation by the Association of American Medical Colleges in retention of combined MD and Resident alumni practicing in-state.
- JABSOM medical students scored above the national average on the USMLE (US Medical Licensing Exam) Step 1 for 10 consecutive years.
- Nearly 80% of the physicians highlighted as the “Top Doctors in Hawaiʻi” in Honolulu Magazine earned their medical degree or completed their residency at JABSOM or currently serve as faculty.
RESEARCH & DISCOVERY
- JABSOM is ranked in the TOP 20 – alongside Stanford, Duke, UCSD, Yale, Johns Hopkins and others – for medical school faculty NIH awards per full-time faculty capita. It is the only public medical school with no university hospital in this upper echelon.
- JABSOM’s SimTiki Simulation Lab became one of fewer than 20 in the U.S. accredited for Research as well as Education and Teaching.
- For the last three years, JABSOM has ranked #1 in NIH research awards among community-based public medical schools (i.e., public medical schools without a university hospital).