Welcome to Developmental and Reproductive Biology (DRB)
Graduate Program Website!!!
The Department of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology at the University of Hawaii School of Medicine offers a graduate program leading to MS and PhD degrees in Developmental and Reproductive Biology. In our program, students are enganged in laboratory research and classes that integrate diverse disciplines, such as the study of:
Whether your goal is pure basic science or translational research, we offer opportunities that will enable you to impact biomedical science and our understanding of life!
- Embryo development
- Stem cells
- Assisted reproductive technologies (ART)
- Gene therapy
- Anatomical imaging
MS Defense by Jackson Bakse
(July 21, 2022, Thursday, Manoa IBR/Biomed plus via Zoom)
Master thesis defense of Mr. Jackson Bakse is scheduled for July 21, 2022 (Thursday) at 10:30am in the Manoa IBR Biomed Building Room E125, and is also broadcasted through Zoom. See more details in here.
MS Defense by Marissa Miyagi
(May 5, 2022, Thursday, Kakaako MEB plus via Zoom)
Master thesis defense of Ms. Marissa Miyagi is scheduled for May 5, 2022 (Thursday) at 1:00pm in the Kakaako Medical Education Building (MEB) Room 304, and is also broadcasted through Zoom. See more details in here.
PhD Defense by Trevor Torigoe
(April 13, 2022, Wednesday, Kakaako MEB plus via Zoom)
Doctoral dissertation defense of Mr. Trevor Torigoe is scheduled for April 13, 2022 (Wednesday) at 9:00am in the Kakaako Medical Education Building (MEB) Room 202, and is also broadcasted through Zoom. See more details in here.
DRB Graduate Program Promotion Video
Clink here to view the video on YouTube. Two DRB students, Marissa Miyagi and Winnie Wu, who worked tirelessly with the assistance of the JABSOM Media Team, to prepare this promotion video. Big Mahalo!
Marissa Miyagi is featured in UH Med Now
Marissa Miyagi is awarded the best Poster Presentations at the JABSOM 2021 Biomedical Sciences Symposium, which was held on April 15, 2021. The title of her presentation is "Three-dimensional (3-D) ovarian tissue culture supported by dextran hydrogel with polyethylene glycol (PEG) crosslinker". Marissa is mentored by Dr. Yukiko Yamazaki, and her story is featured in UH Med Now. Read more.
Lance Nunes and Lauren Kirkwood at the JABSOM Commencement Ceremony (May 15, Saturday)
Lance Nunes and Lauren Kirkwood graduated with Master's degree. The commencement ceremony was held on May 15, 2021 at the JABSOM Kakaako. Lance defended his thesis on April 23 (see more details here) and Lauren defended her thesis on April 28 (see more details here).
MS Defense by Dominique Elento
(December 16, 2020, Wednesday, via Zoom)
Master's degree thesis defense of Dominique Elento is scheduled for December 16, 2020 (Wednesday) at 2:00pm via Zoom. See more details in here.
Trevor Torigoe is featured in the UH Med Now
Trevor Torigoe, a PhD candidate (Mentor: Dr. Richard Allsopp), is also one of the first year medical students at JABSOM, and he is expected to graduate with his MD and PhD in 2024. His story is featured in the UH Med Now. Read more.
2019 DRB Program Retreat
(November 6, 2019, Wednesday, IBR Seminar Room)
The JABSOM Developmental and Reproductive Biology (DRB) Graduate Program Students 2019 Retreat took place on November 6 at the UH Manoa Institute of Biogenesis Research (IBR). Thirteen students (7 PhD and 6 MS) presented their work. The topics covered various aspects of reproductive and developmental biology, such as stem cells in reproduction, oogenesis, fertilization, assisted reproduction technologies, embryonic and fetal development, placentation and other aspects of pregnancy, transgenesis, behavior, etc. Faculty from the IBR, Anatomy, Biochemistry & Physiology (ABH) and Cell and Molecular Biology departments were in attendance. The meeting was highly successful, with collegial atmosphere and vivid discussions. The students' presentations were top-notch, both in respect to power point presentation quality and its oral delivery. See more about the Retreat, including photos of all students, in here.
Chantell Balaan is featured in the Garden Island (TGI)
Chantell Balaan, a PhD candidate (Mentor: Dr. Masato Yoshizawa), is on a mission to understand how the gut microbiome affects brain function and human behavior, particularly in people with autism spectrum disorder. Her story is featured in the Garden Island, Kauai's newspaper. Read more.
Brent Fujimoto presents at American Association of Diabetes Meeting
Brent Fujimoto, Ph.D. candidate in Developmental and Reproductive Biology, presented at the American Diabetes Association Meeting in San Francisco, CA. Mr. Fujimoto mentors are Drs. Noemi Polgar and Ben Fogelgren. The research focuses on how glucose is transported into muscle which is important for understanding diabetes.
Chantell Balaan receives the ARCS 2019 Award in Medicine
Chantell Balaan, a PhD candidate (Mentor: Dr. Masato Yoshizawa), receives the ARCS Award in Medicine. The ARCS foundation (Achievement Rewards for College Scientists) is a non-profit organization administered by a group of women, who provide scholarships and awards to support graduate and undergraduate students in science. Chantell will present her research on April 13 at UH Manoa to the ARCS members, and receives the award at the ceremony on May 6.
See also: The Garden Island,
UH Med News
Students Showcase the DRB Program at the Annual Graduate & Law Schools Fair
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, two DRB students, Lance Nunes (left) and Nicholas Kawasaki (right), represented the program at the Annual Graduate & Law Schools Fair.
Recent Publications (2018-2022) by DRB Graduate Students
Names of the DRB students are underlined.
- Hayden Holmlund, Yasuhiro Yamauchi, Gerald Durango, Wataru Fujii, Monika A. Ward (2022): Two recently acquired mouse Y chromosome-linked genes, Prssly and Teyorf1, are dispensable for male fertility. Biology of Reproduction. 2022 Apr 29:ioac084. doi: 1093/biolre/ioac084.
- Matsushige C, Xu X, Miyagi M, Zuo YY, Yamazaki Y. (2022) RGD-modified dextran hydrogel promotes follicle growth in three-dimensional ovarian tissue culture in mice. Theriogenology. Apr 15;183:120-131.
- Urena F, Ma C, Hoffmann FW, Nunes LGA, Urschitz J, Moisyadi S, Khadka VS, Deng Y, Hoffmann PR. (2022) T-cell activation decreases miRNA-15a/16 levels to promote MEK1-ERK1/2-Elk1 signaling and proliferative capacity. J Biol Chem. Jan 25;298(3):101634.
- Yamauchi Y, Matsumura T, Bakse J, Holmlund H, Blanchet G, Carrot E, Ikawa M, Ward MA. (2022) Loss of mouse Y chromosome gene Zfy1 and Zfy2 leads to spermatogenesis impairment, sperm defects, and infertility. Biology of Reproduction. Mar 16:ioac057. doi: 10.1093/biolre/ioac057.
- Nguyen H, Wu H, Ung A, Yamazaki Y, Fogelgren B, Ward WS.(2022) Deletion of Orc4 during oogenesis severely reduces polar body extrusion and blocks zygotic DNA replication. Biology of Reproduction. 106(4):730-740.
- Nakamatsu NA, Aytaš G, Mikami B, Thompson JD, Davis M 3rd, Rettenmeier C, Maziero D, Andrew Stenger V, Labrash S, Lenze S, Torigoe T, Lozanoff BK, Kaya B, Smith A, Douglas Miles J, Lee UY, Lozanoff S. (2022) Case-based radiological anatomy instruction using cadaveric MRI imaging and delivered with extended reality web technology. Eur J Radiol. 146:110043.
- Kirkwood-Johnson L, Katayama N, Marikawa Y. (2021) Dolutegravir impairs stem cell-based 3D morphogenesis models in a manner dependent on dose and timing of exposure: an implication for its developmental toxicity. Toxicol Sci. 184(2):191-203.
- Frankum R, Jameson TSO, Knight BA, Stephens FB, Wall BT, Donlon TA, Torigoe T, Willcox BJ, Willcox DC, Allsopp RC, Harries LW. (2021) Extreme longevity variants at the FOXO3 locus may moderate FOXO3 isoform levels. Geroscience. doi: 10.1007/s11357-021-00431-0.
- Fujimoto BA, Young M, Nakamura N, Ha H, Carter L, Pitts MW, Torres D, Noh HL, Suk S, Kim JK, Polgar N.(2021) Disrupted glucose homeostasis and skeletal muscle-specific glucose uptake in an exocyst knockout mouse model. Am J Reprod Immunol. 85(1):e13328.
- Saito Reis CA, Padron JG, Norman Ing ND, Kendal-Wright CE.(2021) High-mobility group box 1 is a driver of inflammation throughout pregnancy. J Biol Chem. 296:100482.
- Freemyer BG, Urbi A, Torigoe T, Stickley C.(2021) Weight-Bearing Versus Traditional Strength Assessments of the Hip Musculature. J Athl Train. 56(2):191-6.
- Li ASW, Marikawa Y.(2020) Methoxyacetic acid inhibits histone deacetylase and impairs axial elongation morphogenesis of mouse gastruloids in a retinoic acid signaling-dependent manner. Birth Defects Research. Aug;112(14):1043-1056.
- Padron JG, Saito Reis CA, Kendal-Wright CE.(2020) The Role of Danger Associated Molecular Patterns in Human Fetal Membrane Weakening. Front Physiol. 2020 Jun 17;11:602.
- Mishra PK, Adameova A, Hill JA, Baines CP, Kang PM, Downey JM, Narula J, Takahashi M, Abbate A, Piristine HC, Kar S, Su S, Higa JK, Kawasaki NK, Matsui T. (2019) Guidelines for evaluating myocardial cell death. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2019 Nov 1;317(5):H891-H922.
- Worsham M, Fernandes VFL, Settle A, Balaan C, Lactaoen K, Tuttle LJ, Iwashita M, Yoshizawa M. (2019) Behavioral Tracking and Neuromast Imaging of Mexican Cavefish. Journal of Visualized Experiments Apr 6;(146):10.3791/59099. doi: 10.3791/59099.
- Fujimoto BA, Young M, Carter L, Pang APS, Corley MJ, Fogelgren B, Polgar N.(2019) The exocyst complex regulates insulin-stimulated glucose uptake of skeletal muscle cells. American Journal of Physiology (Endocrinology and Metabolism). doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00109.2019. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hew BE, Sato R, Mauro D, Stoytchev I, Owens JB.(2019) RNA-guided piggyBac transposition in human cells. Synthetic Biology (Oxford, England). 4:ysz018.
- Riel JM, Yamauchi Y, Ruthig VA, Malinta QU, Blanco M, Moretti C, Cocquet J, Ward MA. (2019) Rescue of Sly Expression Is Not Sufficient to Rescue Spermiogenic Phenotype of Mice with Deletions of Y Chromosome Long Arm. Genes 10. pii: E133.
- Ortega EA, Salvador Q, Fernandez M, Ward MA. (2019) Alterations of sex determination pathway in the genital ridges of males with limited Y chromosome genes. Biology of Reproduction 100:810-823.
- Balaan C, Corley MJ, Eulalio T, Leite-Ahyo K, Pang APS, Fang R, Khadka VS, Maunakea AK, Ward MA. (2019) Juvenile Shank3b deficient mice present with behavioral phenotype relevant to autism spectrum disorder. Behavioural Brain Research 356:137-147.
- Fernandes VFL, Macaspac C, Lu L, Yoshizawa M. (2018) Evolution of the developmental plasticity and a coupling between left mechanosensory neuromasts and an adaptive foraging behavior. Developmental Biology 441(2):262-271.
- Warkus EL, Marikawa Y. (2018) Fluoxetine inhibits canonical Wnt signaling to impair embryoid body morphogenesis: potential teratogenic mechanisms of a commonly used antidepressant. Toxicological Sciences 165(2):372-388.
- Davy PMC, Willcox DC, Shimabukuro M, Donlon TA, Torigoe T, Suzuki M, Higa M, Masuzaki H, Sata M, Chen R, Murkofsky RL, Morris BJ, Lim E, Allsopp RC, Willcox BJ. (2018) Minimal shortening of leukocyte telomere length across age groups in a cross-sectional study for carriers of a longevity-associated FOXO3 allele. The Journals of Gerontology 73(11):1448-1452.
- Kim IQ, Marikawa Y. (2018) Embryoid body test with morphological and molecular endpoints implicates potential developmental toxicity of trans-resveratrol. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 355:211-225.
Important Notice to All Students
The DRB Graduate Program Committee has recently issued the following two documents to define the nature of PhD and Master degrees (Plan A/B) in our program:
- Degrees offered in the DRB Graduate Program
- Master Plan A Research Criteria
These are relevant and applicable to both current as well as incoming students.