Financial Aid & Scholarships
Whether you are an incoming, first year medical student or a continuing medical student, we are here to assist you with obtaining funding for which you are eligible and provide you with information to pursue your dream of becoming a Doctor. In addition, we are here to provide financial aid and debt management counseling and to provide appropriate financial literacy resources to assist you while in school and as you prepare to transition into residency. We sincerely hope the services and financial assistance offered will help you to achieve your educational goals.
What you need to know…
Applying for Financial Aid & Scholarships – The first step to applying for financial aid and scholarships is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. When applying for scholarships, some will require that you complete the FAFSA. Most scholarships will require a separate application and have specific deadlines. JABSOM Scholarships and other external scholarship opportunities are announced via email to each student’s university email address (“hawaii.edu”) and posted on the Financial Aid & Scholarships webpage. You can also find scholarship announcements posted on the bulletin boards on the 3rd Floor of the Medical Education Building.
Check your Financial Aid status through your MyUH Portal – To view your financial aid status; including any outstanding requirements, your financial aid award, scholarships and any active messages, log into your MyUH Portal. Make sure to check your status to insure that all of your requirements have been satisfied and that nothing is outstanding. In addition, you also need to ensure that you have made a decision regarding your financial aid offers by indicating either ACCEPT or DECLINE through the “Award Status” tab. Don’t forget to view your messages from the Financial Aid Office and take immediate action as advised.
Are you receiving any external scholarships or resources? – Great! However, you need to inform our office of any resources (e.g. stipends, tuition waivers, etc.) as this may impact your financial aid award. Submit a copy of your scholarship letter or let us know in writing or by email if you are receiving any tuition waivers or stipends as well. We want to ensure that all aid and resources you are receiving are accounted for and that we can be proactive should adjustments to your financial aid award need to occur.
Disbursement and Refunds – Financial aid disbursements normally occur no sooner than 10 days prior to the start of the semester. Scholarship disbursements vary.
Refunds are processed after funds are disbursed to your student account and will be mailed to you in approximately 2 weeks from the time your aid is applied to your tuition and fees for the semester.
You may opt to sign up for the direct deposit option called “eRefund” through your MyUH Portal. This is a free service provided by the UH System that allows your refund to be directly deposited into your personal bank account within approximately 4-5 business days from the time your aid is applied to your UH student account. All you need is a valid savings or checking account with a bank or financial institution.
The 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is now available online at www.fafsa.gov. Make sure to apply!
- You need to indicate the UH Manoa FAFSA school code which is 001610
- The priority deadline to submit the FAFSA is FEBRUARY 1st
- Most schools have an established priority deadline. Meeting the priority deadline allows the student the best opportunity to be considered for the most aid possible, as some financial aid programs have limited funding. If the priority deadline is missed, the student may still apply for financial aid and the award offered will be subject to available funds.
- For assistance completing the FAFSA, contact the JABSOM Scholarship Director & Financial Aid Counselor for an appointment at (808) 692-1002 or email email@example.com
- The 2017 Kaiser Permanente Northern California Medical Student Scholarship application deadline has been extended to Sunday – March 12, 2017
- For current third-year medical students with a demonstrated commitment to underserved communities
- For more details and to apply, visit: https://residency-ncal.kaiserpermanente.org/med-students/scholarships/
- External Scholarships
Contact & Other Information…
For financial aid, scholarship, debt management and financing questions or assistance, please contact:
Scholarship Director & Financial Aid Counselor
Phone: (808) 692-1002
2016-2017 JABSOM Cost of Attendance (Student Budget)
2017-2018 JABSOM Cost of Attendance (Student Budget)
JABSOM Financial Aid & Scholarship Information Sheet
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
University of Hawaii Tuition Schedule