Message from Dean Jerris Hedges
It is my pleasure to announce that in June 2017, the John A. Burns School of Medicine has successfully received continued full accreditation by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the maximum accreditation period of eight years.
Considerable work went into the process for preparing and executing the LCME site visit. Planning and data collection started over two years prior to the scheduled site visit, which occurred in January/February 2017. Preparation included the establishment of data collection/writing committees, a Self-study Task Force and Independent Student Analysis committee. All of the groups met regularly to gather and assess data regarding the medical school. Results have proven that JABSOM’s faculty, students, staff and clinical partners continue to excel in providing medical education that meets or goes beyond established standards. Several areas of excellence were identified, this included the following:
- An enduring, well-integrated problem-based learning curriculum of excellence that fosters self-directed and life-long learning.
- Well-established culture of engagement between medical students and faculty in a nurturing and supportive learning environment throughout the duration of the medical education program, bolstered by student well-being programs.
- A mature, robust and comprehensive medical education program evaluative process.
- A community–based teaching model that has generated stable, supportive and sustainable partnerships with clinical affiliates that places faculty and students in educationally-diverse clinical settings across the State.
- >Health disparities expertise.
- Revenue base is well balanced and composed of diverse sources.
- Significant contribution to state workforce.
I’d like to thank the many contributors, including faculty, staff, students and community partners, for their contributions and dedication in maintaining JABSOM as a leading medical school in the US. The next full survey visit will occur in the 2024-25 academic year. JABSOM’s LCME Compliance Committee will continue to monitor and review the status of the medical school as it pertains to LCME standards. For further information on the accreditation process, please visit the LCME website.
Mahalo nui loa!
Jerris R. Hedges, MD, MS, MMM
Dean and Professor of Medicine
Barry & Virginia Weinman Endowed Chair
John A. Burns School of Medicine
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa