July 30, 2018
Hawaii Medical Education Council
Monday, July 30, 2018
John A. Burns School of Medicine
651 Ilalo Street, Medical Education Building
Parking Reserved in LOT B for RSVP’s
Hawai‘i Medical Education Council (HMEC)
University of Hawai‘i, John A. Burns School of Medicine
Date: Monday, July 30, 2018, 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Location: 651 Ilalo Street, Kaka‘ako Campus, Medical Education Building, Room 202
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
1. Review & Approval of April 23, 2018 Minutes – Dr. Hedges (also distributed via email to members)
2. Report from HMEC Chair – Dr. Hedges
b. Introduction of Bruce Anderson, new DOH Director
c. Legislative Strategies (with Cynthia Nakamura)
3. Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) – Islander Institute (Josh Levinson, et al) [30 min]
4. Physician Workforce Data Updates – Dr. Kelley Withy
a. Data / Maps
b. Preceptor Tax Credit law
5. Next Steps – Dr. Lee Buenconsejo-Lum
a. HMEC Subcommittee Update
b. Models to consider for supporting GME programs and/or expansion
6. Follow-up to final 2017 HMEC report
UH JABSOM/HMEC recommends that UH JABSOM and the legislature work with vital stakeholders to identify options for funding GME and the return on investment to the state of Hawai‘i in funding GME.
UH JABSOM/HMEC recommends that the 2018 State Legislature assess the advisability and feasibility of an annual GME Appropriation to fund HMEC designated residency/fellowship programs with a particular emphasis on primary care.
UH/HMEC recommends that the 2018 State Legislature and State Executive Branch support the State Department of Human Services and UH JABSOM to work together to develop a State Medicaid GME Matching program to augment GME funding.
UH/HMEC recommends that the 2018 State Legislature, UH JABSOM, the Hawai‘i Medical Association and other stakeholders explore potential remedies or reforms to protect residents and fellows from being named in malpractice suits while they are in a formal training program and providing care under the supervision of a fully licensed attending physician.
7. Announcements – Next HMEC Meeting – Monday, October 22, 2018 @ 7:30am in MEB 202